Welcome to 2017. Did you set your New Year’s resolutions yet?
I’m running behind this year. Maybe time management should top my list.
Last year I hit some of my biggest goals ever. I swam a 200-yard butterfly, without fins. I backpacked 200 miles on the John Muir Trail. I rode a bicycle more than 400 miles across Iowa.
I missed others. I didn’t reduce stress in my life; I increased it. I didn’t do any foot races, because plantar fasciitis kept me sidetracked.
What are your New Year’s resolutions?
That’s OK. I’ll try again in 2018 with a new set of goals.
I try to cover all areas of my life when I set my yearly goals. I try to keep them attainable and at least some of them measurable. I like variety, too, so I usually include stuff that keeps me healthy and fit, personal goals and something wacky or unusual. (One year I decided I wanted to learn how to make fire using the bow method. Nailed it!)
Here’s this year’s list:
1. SHOOT: I’ve long relied on the auto setting on my camera to get my shots. No more. I’m going to master camera settings and improve my photography skills. And I’m going to get some great night sky shots, too.
2. WRITE A BOOK: I’ve got the subject, and a publisher. Now all I’ve got to do is write my book about J. David Bamberger, a vacuum cleaner salesman turned fried chicken mogul who became one of the state’s foremost ranchland conservationists.
3. BIKE: Plantar fasciitis has kept me from running, but that doesn’t mean I can’t bike. I’ll continue cycling to work, and hopefully compete in an ultra bike race. I’m eyeballing a 200-miler in Marble Falls at the end of March. But I’m scared.
4. EAT RIGHT: More grains, less meat, more vegetables, less junk, more water.
5. CHILL: This one’s always on the list, but this time I mean it. I’m going to reduce stress. My plan calls for more time with my girlfriends and less time worrying about things I can’t control. I’m going to say no to stuff I don’t want to do. Maybe I’ll finally figure out how to sit still. (OK, that’s reaching.)
6. SWIM HARD: We’re going to bring back that 200 fly.
7. THRILL: More adventure, please. (I know, I know.) That means travel, and I’m going to scuba dive, hike, wander, explore and discover new places.
8. LIVE THE LIFE I WANT: This year I resolve to follow my heart, without regrets.
9. EMOTE: My best stories are the ones where I reveal more than just the facts. I vow to write with more emotion in 2017.
10. ENJOY. This one goes without saying, but I’m going to treasure every moment with family and friends. You never know when they’ll be gone.