I’m a little late this year, but here goes – my 2016 New Year’s resolutions.
1. Swim a straight 200-yard butterfly. Three years ago I couldn’t swim a 100 fly. Now I’m doing one just about every day, so I’m upping the ante.
2. Hike. This year I’m taking three weeks to backpack the entire John Muir trail, from Yosemite to Mount Whitney.
3. Heal. I’ve got plantar fasciitis. I haven’t been able to run for five weeks, and for the first time ever, I have to skip a race I’d planned to do. But I want it to heal properly, so I’m taking a break.
4. Travel. I love to explore, and I’ve got a bunch of adventures planned, including a girls-only back country hut ski trip, a running trip to Oregon, and a summertime beer- and bike-themed adventure in Colorado.
5. Eat well and hydrate. Less junk, more fruit and veggies. Lots of water.
6. Bike to work. I’m a big believer in getting cars off the road, sneaking in a little extra exercise and making a smaller environmental footprint. That means I’ll continue biking to work as often as I can.
7. Chill. This one makes my list every year, and it’s a toughie. Sometimes it feels like every moment in my life is booked. I’m going to set aside some time to do nothing. Or color. Really.
8. Burn wood. Last year my husband got me a wood burning kit. I’m going to wear it out.
9. Participate. My schedule’s in flux, but I want to do at least a dozen fitness events this year. Hopefully it’ll include RAGBRAI (the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa), the Cap2K Open Water Swim Race and, if my foot allows it, a few running races.
10. Enjoy life. This one goes without saying, but I’m going to treasure every moment with family and friends. You never know when they’ll be gone.
What are your New Year’s resolutions?